Before and After

This is how my kitchen looked after dinner last night.  Note that Steve was not home.
Pretty bad, isn't it.

Knowing good and well that Steve was due home in less than 24 hours, I had to get my ass in gear, get out of lazy mode, and clean the kitchen.


The after:




Big difference, huh?

I am guilty of letting my housework fall by the wayside when Steve is on a trip.  Now, I usually straighten up to my standard and make sure all the dishes are done, but beyond that I don't really do much more.  But, when Steve is due home I really try to straighten things up and get things to his standard.

I have learned from experience, both from Steve's point of view and mine, that it is best to walk into a clean house after being gone from home.  Steve's love language is "acts of kindness" so the 'after picture' is a big way to fill his love tank...while the 'before picture' is a big way to drain his love tank.

As a pilot wife, I do try to keep our home life as comfortable as possible.  The first step in making our home comfortable for Steve, is to make it a welcome place for him to come home.  Now, I am not always perfect in doing this...and when that is the case, I totally worn Steve of what he is about to walk into.  Some trips are harder than others on the pilot wife.  A hard trip may equal a less than clean home.  When this is the case, I know that Steve is understanding.  But, in the same token, understand that a clean home sets the right mood for your pilot's short 3 days at home.

Make the most of your pilot's short time at home...and it all starts with a clean kitchen.


 





Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Love it! It is sometimes just so hard to motivate yourself :)

      Delete
  2. Same here although mine could not careless what the houe looks like as long as we are in it :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it, your husband's love language isn't acts of kindness? ;) We should all accumulate before and after pictures and publish them somewhere...I am sure we would get some doozies in there!

      Delete
  3. I try to do this, too. My husband feels somewhat guilty about leaving us all the time, and I have found that if I can keep the house together, it goes a long way toward communicating to him that *I've got this, we aren't just barely surviving, waiting for rescue. It's okay for you to leave.* That helps to relieve some of the stress on his end. Usually I can get the house together unless the kids and I have been sick or something.

    Love those big windows in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all pilots feel some guilt when they leave...and I like your take on having a clean house upon his arrival. A clean house relieve some stress. Thanks for the window love...too bad at night it turns into a giant mirror and sometimes it freaks me out :-)

      Delete
  4. Well, as I mentioned in the other post, nothing got cleaned till Daddy got home and cleaned it! (Ya we r divorced, LOL!)

    Sigh...never did have a knack for finding a "tidy" signif. other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I am not really the "tidy" type...I just know that Steve's love language is acts of kindness. So, there is no better way to fill his love tank than to do things he appreciates. And no better way to drain it than leave the house a mess. I just know his trigger points.

      You don't need to find a "tidy" one...you need to find a woman that fills your love tank!

      Delete

Post a Comment