Do pilots have a sense of fashion?

As stated before I am addicted to The Bachelor. I got my idea for this post last night during the rose ceremony. Jake had on a black suit, a nice gray paisley tie, and a blue shirt. The suit and tie were very nice, but the tie threw me. It just seemed off. I then had a flashback to what he wore for his first appearance on The Bachelorette. As he walked out of the limo the first thing you noticed was his ugly orange shirt and ugly tie. Ewwwww.

I then had another flashback to the first time Steve and I met (at a bar/club no less). It was March in Cleveland, which translates to cold. I was wearing a red sweater and jeans. Steve was wearing a bright yellow and blue plaid shirt which was fitting in the summertime, not in winter. Nearly 11 years later I still have that visual of that bright summer shirt.

So, based on these couple examples I have come to the conclusion that pilots really don't have a sense of fashion (disclaimer: I am sure there are well dressed pilots out there, but I am sure that is because they have the help of their wife *wink* *wink*). I will give pilots a break since they really don't have to practice fashion. They wear a uniform to work. At that, it is a short sleeved shirt and a tie...another ewwww. Steve does have long-sleeved shirts for work but won't wear them since the arms get dirty from resting his arms on armrests in the cockpit. I guess the cockpit can be a dirty place. Now that I think about it, I am glad that Steve doesn't wear long sleeved shirts. Because if he did I would have to add sleeve dirt to the already target spots on his shirts (chest pocket for his pen, shoulder area where his harness can rub, ring around the collar, and the occasional grease on his back from his walk-arounds). But, I digress.

Another reason pilots don't really have a sense of fashion is because of how they pack for a trip. At most Steve is gone for five days. Imagine packing enough clothes for five days in a roll-aboard. In order to travel light like this, you have to be very concise with your belongings. So, this means using items for multiple purposes. For example, Steve will pack his running shoes to work out, but he will also wear them for dinner. Jeans, a basic shirt, and running shoes is his "uniform" when on the road and not working. Not much room for creativity here.

I will admit it, when Steve is home and we are going out or have an event to go to, I dress him. Well, I don't actually put his shirt on for him, but I will lay out his clothes. He will put on the clothes happily and rarely protests. I do ask questions like "do you feel like wearing a tie or a sport jacket?" or "do you want to wear jeans or chinos?" Based on his input I will accomodate. Hey, it works. He is comfortable and I am happy with his outfit.

I will also admit that I buy ALL of Steve's clothes, down to his boxer shorts and socks. I can't speak for him, but I don't think Steve minds this too much. He doesn't have to step foot in a store, and he has a pretty decent wardrobe, if I do say so myself. Not to mention, the last thing that Steve wants to do on his day off is shop. He opens his closet door or dresser drawers and can pick whatever he wants.

Let's hope that when Jake finds the love of his life, she has some input on his fashion sense.

Comments