Auto Pilot/Cruise Control




I have never flown a plane, so I don't know much about auto pilot. But, I do know that a pilot can set it pretty early on in the flight and turn it off rather late in the flight. So, from what I gather the majority of a flight is controlled by auto pilot.

How does this translate from the pilot world to regular people world? Cruise control.

We recently went on a road trip in a nice new Honda...you guessed it...Pilot. Not our car - it is my sister and brother-in-law's car. Anyway, my brother-in-law drove most of the way, but when Steve got behind the wheel guess what was the first thing he did? Yup, he set the cruise control.

I immediately looked at my sister and said "oh, my next blog post".

My theory is that pilots grow accustomed to letting auto pilot fly their plane, so they let cruise control drive their cars.

We could be in the middle of rush hour traffic where there is total stop and go traffic. Yet, Steve will try his hardest to set that darn cruise control. It is annoying as can be to see him push the buttons on the steering wheel over and over to adjust the speed instead of letting his foot on the accelerator do the work.

I guess this is something that I will just have to overlook, because as hard as I try I will never be able to change this.

Comments