Valsalva

Raise your hand of you know of a Mr. Valsalva.

My hand is raised.

Steve gave me a lesson on the valsalva maneuver, which is a technique named after Antonio Maria Valsalva.  This lesson was on our way to Deep Creek, MD, which is in the middle of the Allegheny Mountains.  We were driving up and down this mountain highways, our ears popping the entire time.  I guess he learned of this technique in a college class that was about flying and the effects on your body...the class name is escaping me.

Basically, you plug your nose and blow out.  This, somehow, pops your ears. I could dig around for the science of it all, but I won't.  Not in the mood, sorry :) Again, just plug your nose and blow out.  Bingo...ears are unplugged. 

I know I am not the only pilot wife that has looked over and seen their husbands doing this...almost like it is second nature to them.

I will stick to my technique of yawning.

Comments