were you sleeping?

I was making a phone call to Steve, who was somewhere on his 5-day trip that took him to California and Hawaii, around 4pm my time.  We spent the weekend with my parents, so I was just touching base.  Keep in mind that this type of trip is a bitch.  Not only does it have two red-eyes, but it also deals with multiple time zones.  During these trips I don't know where Steve is or when he is sleeping.

*****

ring, ring, ring...

"hello?" he answers with a sleepy voice.

"were you sleeping?" I ask.  "Yes" he answered, still sleepy.

"ok, well just call me later when you are awake" I told him.  We hung up.  Crap.

*****

I hate, hate, hate when I wake him up, especially when I call just to chat and see what he is up to.

He called back about 20 minutes.  Turns out he was, in fact, sleeping in preparation for a red-eye.  Double crap...sleep is important, especially for a red-eye.  He was to wake up right around the time I called, so it wasn't all that bad.  But, I still feel like badly when I wake him up.

Everyone loves sleep...and I just hate to be the one to disturb it.




Comments

  1. Hi, Joanna.
    I am also the wife of a CA, managing work full time and a 21 month old boy with daddy being gone 2 to 3 weeks a month. I came across your blog and was so relieved to hear you say things that I think about all the time. Thank you for your honesty. You are doing an amazing job!
    --Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy! We are all in the same boat, and have the exact same thoughts...it is all about support!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment