We got another dog

We got our first dog shortly after we bought our first home. Her name was Lexi. She was sweet as pie. A blond, cross-eyed, lab/chow mix. She was found in a junk yard. Her mother was hit and killed by a car. Her fur was matted and covered in mud chunks, but her sweetness still shined through.

We had her for a couple months before I started to feel the impact of a solo dog. After I got home from work, all I wanted to do was lay on the couch. You know, because when you're 22 and work 8 hours, you're SO exhausted! All Lexi wanted to do when I got home was play.

So, we got Lexi a playmate. Cali. She was a flat-coat retriever mix, found alongside the highway. She was a great dog, with eyes that were human-like. In fact, if she stared at you long enough you would get a chill down your spine.

They both passed away a couple years ago. Cali probably had some form of cancer. Once she started messing in the house, it was only 3 weeks before she passed. The last 5 days she wouldn't even come in the house. She even slept outside. She stopped drinking. She knew it was her time. I prayed that entire week that she would live long enough for Steve to come home. I do a lot with Steve's absence, but I didn't want to take on the death of a beloved pet on my own. We loved on her so much that week. I remember just petting her and crying, in the front garden, hear a cypress bush. Steve made it home Thursday night, and on a rainy Friday morning we made that fateful trip to the vet. After we left the vet's office, we hugged and cried in the parking lot. "It's just a fucking dog," I said, trying to break the grief with crass words. It's amazing how a dog can touch your heart so much.


Lexi was lost without Cali. The days and weeks after Cali's death, Lexi would just roam around outside, looking for her friend. Over the next number of months, she got weaker and weaker. One afternoon we got home to find that Lexi couldn't get herself up. She had been trying and trying, which meant she rubbed a spot on her leg raw, and was incredibly anxious. It was time. Her body was too weak. When we weighed her at the vet's office the morning of her final visit, she lost 14 pounds since Cali passed. She was skin and bones. Poor thing.

A post shared by Joanna (@comebackdaddy) on


After the dogs passed away, we gave ourselves some time. We remodeled our kitchen, and then had a 2 week trip to Europe planned. Once we got back from our trip, summer of 2016, we started looking for a new dog.

Steve was rather adamant that he wanted a doodle, for their no shedding thing. So, we focused on a doodle. After looking at rescues, and even somewhat thinking a breeder, I came across a posting on Craigslist of all places. A 7-month-old labradoodle, named Niko, needed rehomed. He was purchased as a puppy, and was just getting to be too much for the family.

We welcomed him with open arms.


He's awesome, and perfect in every way (well, accept for stealing shoes/socks/hats/pillows as a way to get our attention). He is such a sweet and wonderful dog.

In my heart I've always been open to another dog. We had Lexi and Cali for all those years (13 and 14), so we loved the dynamic. But, I didn't push anything. If the right opportunity came along, then let it be.

Wouldn't you know it...the right opportunity did come along. Steve and our friend were hanging out while Niko and their dog were playing. (Niko and this dog are totally boyfriends...they just LOVE one another so much.) Steve mentioned that he would be open to another dog, once this whole boat thing settles. Buying a boat took a lot longer than we ever expected. 

As it turns out that one comment was enough for our friend to send us a text the next day of a rescue group that specializes in doodles. A litter of "youth" doodles came up just a couple days prior. I filled out an application. I didn't tell Steve...he was flying. I just reacted. Sure enough, our application was approved, as was our vet check. And before I knew it the rescue wanted to know when we could look at the dogs for adoption.

"Steve, are you okay with this?" I asked him that night when he called in after he was done flying for the day.

"It's up to you."

He really didn't vocalize his desires, since he knew the brunt of a new dog would be on me. Of course I said we would "look" at the dogs. "At least we can look at them."

That next Saturday, we brought home our Dudley.
Duds
Rub a dub Duds
Dudster
D-Dog



He was born to a breeder, but after so many months was given up since he wasn't sold. There were about 5 litter mates that were rescued, and Dudley was one of two dogs left. I liked his jump skills...Niko is very athletic and agile, so I thought Dudley's ability would be a good match.

The three hour trip home wasn't easy for any of us (we discovered Dudley gets car sick). But, we got home and settled in pretty quickly. He likes to steal toys from Niko. He likes to chase Niko in circles, and they are starting to get more and more playful/rough. He walks great on a lease, considering he didn't have much training. He can already sit. He stays in the yard, and already knows his name and responds wonderfully. And has finally caught onto the whole housebreaking thing. He also lost his first tooth the first week we had him. He is getting more and more comfortable with us, so that means more correcting. He loves to jump on the furniture, which isn't allowed in our house. But, he'll get there, since Niko is a good leader and Dudley looks up to him.


So, that's the story of our dogs. Let me add the whole pilot wife connection to everything. I'm the alpha to these dogs. I'm the one to set routine. I'm the one they follow. Hell, they even follow me into the bathroom. When Steve's gone, it's all me doing everything. Certainly the kids help here and there with walks and feeding, but I'm the constant.

It will take a while for Dudley to get to know Steve. After Steve's first trip post Dudley, he pulled into the garage after those 3-day and Dudley didn't know what was going on. He barked at first, and then was like "hey, maybe I know this guy..." Steve greeted him warmly, and Dudley happily responded. Dudley was part of the family for only 3 days before Steve left. It will take extra time for them to bond.

...and all the while Dudley's bond with me will grow stronger and stronger. I know their feeding schedules, their poop schedules, ect. If I'm missing, they know it and come looking for me. It's my side of the bed they find at 7am, when it's time for a walk. I'm constantly tripping since they are constantly under foot. They are the ones asking me for a good pat on the head, while Steve is the one quietly sitting next to me..."go to Papa," I tell them after I get frustrated that I can't put my hand back in the potato chip bag.

I think you get the picture. Owning a dog, or two, is a lot for me to add to my plate, but I wouldn't give it up for anything...they are totally worth it!!
A post shared by Joanna (@comebackdaddy) on






Comments