attitude

Steve just got home from a 4-day trip. At some point during each of his trips, I will always ask what his captain's story is. This particular captain, who I actually once met at a social event, has grown to despise that this job has taken him away from so much of his family life. And guess what, his attitude about his job has rubbed off onto his children. So now, not only does he hate his job (my words, not his) but his kids hate his job too (my words, not theirs).

I refuse to ever let Steve hate his job. I refuse to ever let Ben and CC hate Steve's job. I will make the most of it. Yes, Steve will miss a ton of family things, but that is our reality and I will not let anyone have a negative attitude about it.

It really is all about attitude. My attitude is that we are going to use Steve's job at a tool to really educate the kids about travel and the world. Ben is still too young, but I plan on following Steve's trips on a map and learning about the cities that he will stay in. I plan on using our flight benefits to travel a lot when the kids gets older...I want their passports to be totally full of stamps! I want them to realize that there is a world outside of our little city.

I also have the attitude that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Take last night for example, when Steve come home and started to change out of his uniform I was able to look at him with fresh eyes, for lack of a better way of putting it...I haven't seen him for 4 days, so I really missed him and it was so nice to see his face again. Now, that doesn't always happen, but last night it did. I am not sure how many couples that have been together for 11 years can say that, but if you can you know what I am talking about.

And then, after Steve changed he joined us on the bed to watch Toy Story 2. Ben actually looked at him and said "daddy, I love you when you are gone". Tell me that doesn't warm your heart! I bet Steve's hurt of being gone for 4 days was all washed away with those few words.

Comments